Are you a driver looking to move your vehicle across states? The idea of a cross-country drive might sound exciting, but it can also be time-consuming, tiring, and costly. Thankfully, there’s an alternative that’s efficient, affordable, and quite an adventure in itself: shipping your car by train. In this guide, we’ll explore the ins and outs of how to ship a car by train, including prices, pros and cons, and a step-by-step guide on how to book this convenient service.
The Price Tag: Is It Worth It?
Let’s start with what’s often the first question on your mind: how much will it cost? The price of shipping a car by train can vary depending on several factors:
- Distance: Naturally, the farther your car needs to travel, the more it’ll cost. Be sure to get a quote from your chosen rail service provider.
- Vehicle Size and Weight: Smaller cars are typically cheaper to ship. Heavier vehicles may incur additional fees.
- Time of Year: Prices can fluctuate based on the season. Expect higher costs during peak moving seasons.
- Train Class: Some rail services offer different classes for shipping vehicles, with varying price points. Choose the one that suits your budget and preferences.
On average, shipping your vehicle by train can cost anywhere from $500 to $1,500 for a cross-country journey. While this may seem steep at first, consider the convenience and peace of mind it offers. No wear and tear on your car, no costly hotel stays, and no time spent on the road.
The Pros and Cons of Shipping a Car by Train
- Cost-Efficient: As mentioned earlier, train shipping can be more budget-friendly compared to a cross-country drive with expenses like fuel, food, and lodging.
- Time-Saving: Shipping your vehicle by train is faster than driving it across the country, especially if you have a tight schedule or need to reach your destination quickly.
- Reduced Wear and Tear: Long road trips can put a significant strain on your vehicle. Shipping by train eliminates this concern, preserving your vehicle’s longevity.
- Safety and Security: Rail transport is generally considered safer than long road trips, with minimal risk of accidents or damage.
- Environmentally Friendly: Trains are an eco-friendly option, emitting fewer pollutants per mile than cars.
- Limited Accessibility: Not all locations have direct train access, so you might need to arrange additional transportation to and from the train station.
- Fixed Schedules: Trains operate on fixed schedules, so you’ll need to plan your car’s arrival and departure accordingly.
- Additional Fees: Be mindful of potential extra charges for services like door-to-door transport or vehicle storage.
How to Ship A Car by Train
Now that you’re convinced that shipping your car by train is the way to go, let’s walk through the process:
Step 1: Research and Choose a Rail Service Provider
Start by researching reputable rail service providers. Look for customer reviews, check their track record, and compare prices. Make sure they offer services to and from your desired locations.
Step 2: Get a Quote
Contact your chosen provider to request a quote. Provide them with all the necessary details, including your car’s make, model, size, and the locations for pick-up and drop-off.
Step 3: Prepare Your Vehicle
Before shipping, ensure your vehicle is in good condition. Clean it thoroughly and take photos to document any existing damage. Remove all personal belongings from the car and leave it with no more than a quarter tank of gas.
Step 4: Book Your Shipment
Once you receive a quote that fits your budget, book your shipment with the rail service provider. Be sure to confirm the pick-up and drop-off locations as well as the scheduled date.
Step 5: Drop Off Your Vehicle
On the scheduled date, bring your car to the designated train station or terminal. The rail service provider will inspect your car and load it onto the train.
Step 6: Track Your Shipment
Most rail service providers offer tracking options, allowing you to monitor your car’s journey in real-time. This provides peace of mind throughout the shipping process.
Step 7: Pick Up Your Car
Upon arrival at your destination, head to the train station to collect your car. Inspect it carefully to ensure there’s no damage during transit.
Ready to Make Your Move?
Shipping a car by train offers a stress-free and cost-effective solution for drivers looking to move their cars across states. With careful planning and the right rail service provider, your vehicle will arrive safely and securely at its destination.
If you’re ready to take the leap and ship your car by train, get a specialized Quote from one of our Transport experts, simply click here and experience a hassle-free booking experience. Make your move a breeze with Xpress Auto Moves Group!.
Safe travels, fellow drivers!